Monday, August 9, 2010

Easy Garter Diagonal Multi-tasker


FREE PATTERN ALERT, but I wouldn't start anything till you read through.


OK. I made this little shawl which could also be a blanket, throw or whatever it needs to be. It's pretty simple.


I found some really soft worsted and needles a little oversized. For instance, if the skein recommends US 8 I would suggest a 9. More suggestions at the end, stay tuned!


Cast on 2. Doesn't matter how you do it. 'E' cast-ons are fine.


Knit one and make one from the stitch below. Knit to end. Repeat.


OK. That's the first half of the body of the shawl. How big you want it to be is up to you. I wanted a 45" square, so I knitted until the edges measured 45".


Knit one, knit two together. Knit to end. Repeat.


When you've got to the last two stitches cast off. You should have a garter diagonal square.


Next the edging: I selected one I had used before, the Diamond Edging from the Firmaments Lace Shawl, which I thought the designer found in a pattern dictionary, but can't find it now, except in the pattern for the shawl. It's only about 13 stitches at the widest. (Hint: I wanted the corners NOT to curl so I knit the very tippy tip stitches for two extra rows. Worked peachy!) I knit mine onto all four edges, mitering the corners. You could use just about any edge you like, just realize the size of yarn and needles may affect how the edge turns out.


The original was striped so that I could use up a bunch of my stash. I think this is pretty easy, and am doing another in white sport weight for a co-worker who is having a baby. For a crib size I would say a 28" measurement is needed on one side, however, I will need to continue increasing one side till I get 42", so decreasing one side and increasing the other, to create a rectangle. I will add the picture of that when I have it finished, so check back.

If you try this, let me know how it turns out.

1 comment:

  1. Love how the color come out in the verigate, so different from crocheting.

    ReplyDelete