Saturday, December 14, 2013

More Knitting Books (from the library)

I've had three more books from the library!
  • Amy Herzog's Knit to Flatter (Published by STC Craft/A Melanie Falick Book, NY 2013) requested this when I heard she would be a guest on Fiber Hooligan and I had been wanting to read it for some time.  ( http://www.blogtalkradio.com/fiberhooligan/2013/12/09/amy-herzog) The book didn't come in for me to pick up until after that episode, but I had heard her on the Yarn Thing Podcast with Marly Bird which made my anxiety to get the book between these two events a bit ... necessary. Amy and her husband have put together a great website that incorporates the basic elements she's written about in her book and further personalizing a pattern to fit. ( https://customfit.makewearlove.com ) She candidly discusses the difference between Ms. Average fit and everyone else without using the words 'Figure Flaws', using pictures and candid description of body types, all beautiful just different. Having a book in hand with it's written messages of inspiration (including this one in the introduction 'You are gorgeous, readers. Let's help you knit sweaters that make you feel that way, too.') should be candy for any knitter who's been at all frustrated with the outcome of a finished garment for herself.
  • Melissa Leapman Knitting the Perfect Fit (Published by Potter Craft, NY 2012) Totally a fluke that these two books came at the same time and I hope not to compare them... Lots of great advice about knitting, reading charts and making swatches that should help encourage a knitter, especially one not much experienced with sweaters. I requested the book for the pattern named 'Angie', which I am disappointed to say, turns out not to be for my body type, being one that an A-line is NOT flattering on. There are many cute designs in the book, I liked the 'Weekender', 'Merino Magic' and 'Jen'. I didn't care for the close-up pictures of the knitted pieces themselves which appear to me to be very poorly finished.  
  • Edelgard Janssen and Ute Eismann Sock Art (Published in US by Trafalgar Square Books 2013, originally in German as Sockenhunst im Jacquard-look, 2010) This was on the NEW book as I walked in, so grabbed it and ran. There is no introductions or explanations in the front of the book and the end concludes with techniques for toes and heels explained. Is that a German thing?  The patterns are a pretty mix of florals and critters, done in bright stripes of intarsia. There is one paragraph that says Kaffe Fasset was an inspiration, that much is clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment